The Mountain Laurel
The Journal of Mountain Life

Visit us on FaceBookGenerations of Memories
from the
Heart of the Blue Ridge

The Mail Box - March, 1990

Issue: March, 1990

Dear Readers,
Lately I have received several letters requesting mountain ghost stories. You know, the kind of stories that grandmothers used to tell in hushed whispers around the fireplace in winter when the wind was howling, or sitting out on the porch on a summer's night when an occasional eerie call of an owl is heard in the stillness.

I have several such stories at present and would like to invite you to send me your favorite mountain ghost and mysterious stories so that I can print them all together in an upcoming issue. If I get enough of them soon enough, that issue would make a good one to take on summer camping trips to read out loud around a campfire. Such stories have always been a part of the folk-history and whether accurate or not, were always told as "a real, true story." They were, though, always a part of the repertoire of every great storyteller.

I'll be looking forward to the stories you send.

Sincerely,
Susan Thigpen, Editor

Hello Susan,
Many, many thanks to all of you for the love and hard work you put into the most enjoyable publication, The Mountain Laurel. It really is the best thing that I have found to read. It's the nearest thing to a visit home for me.

Enclosed is my check to renew my subscription.

May God richly bless each of you in this New Year with wonderful health and all of the happiness you can stand.

A.T. Meadors
Eden, North Carolina

Dear Mountain Laurel,
I've enjoyed Mt. Laurel for many years, and I've loved all the things you have written in your paper. I was born and raised in Wytheville and when a child our dad used to take us on Sunday to the Fish Hatchery. We would walk up and spend the afternoon and have the best time. Then when the train came by, we would catch it and go home tired but happy. Now my brother and his son own the Hatchery, Herman and Dale Brackens. I would love to know more about the Hatchery and the future of it.

Keep up the good news and thank you.

I remain a faithful reader,

Mrs. R. B. Moore
Pulaski, Virginia

Dear Readers,
We thought you might like to know. In the last newsletter from the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries was the following report:

Virginia's Wildlife had a banner year according to all reports, says Bob Duncan, Assistant Wildlife Chief. "A good mast crop in 1988 and again in 1989, plus abundant rain has resulted in good squirrel reproduction, more rabbits than we've seen in a long time, a fantastic boom year on turkeys and increased quail coveys." Deer were showing better antler development as well.

This is good news to travelers who look for wildlife along the way. On the other hand, there is a lot more possibilities of rabbits munching in gardens this year!

Susan Thigpen, Editor

Dear Sir,
I want to renew my Mountain Laurel. I enjoy it so much, more than any paper or book I receive. As soon as it arrives I read it from front to back. I just can not put it aside.

Thank you,

I. Conner
Glen Burnie, Maryland

[Dear Editor,]
The National Worrell Family Reunion will be held at the V.F.W. Building in Hillsville, Virginia on June 15-16, 1990.

Carroll County, then a part of Grayson County, became "home" to many Worrells whose ancestors came to America with William Penn in 1682. Some of their descendents are striving to locate the final resting place of these ancestors.

My task is to locate cemeteries which contain graves of Worrells. I'm hoping that anyone who knows the location of a cemetery in which Worrells are buried will please write or call.

I need road numbers, landmarks, nearest store, school, church, etc. and the name of the cemetery so that I can locate and catalog these for the reunion.

Thank you so much

Mrs. Ninevah J. Willis
Rt 1, Box 79A
Laurel Fork, Virginia 24352
703-398-2426, phone

The Mountain Laurel,
I was told about your Monthly Journal and how interesting it is. I'm elderly and a shut-in in the winter time and enjoy reading material to pass my days. I would like to subscribe to your Mountain Laurel Journal and order back issues and a copy of the Special Mountain Memories #2.

Thank you very much.

J. Hatton
Freedom, California

Dear Readers,
It seems like I'm doing all the talking in this month's Letters Column, but I thought you might like to know the answer to a question asked in last month's issue.

For those of you who read last month's Genealogy column asking where Southerland, Tennessee is, we found the answer. It is located about two miles south of Damascus, Virginia on State Route 716, the Shady Valley Road. While gathering information for this month's BACKROAD, we ran across several people who lived there at one time. We were told that it is a beautiful area also and we should see something there called "Backbone Rock." Oh well, it sounds like another good spot for a BACKROAD for another day. There's always something interesting just over the next hill!

Susan Thigpen, Editor

The Mountain Laurel,
Attached please find my check for two years' renewal to your great paper. I enjoy your paper very, very much as it brings back memories of my childhood in the country.

L. M. Brandon
Trinity, North Carolina