The Mountain Laurel
The Journal of Mountain Life

Visit us on FaceBookGenerations of Memories
from the
Heart of the Blue Ridge

The Mail Box - June, 1990

Issue: June, 1990

Dear Mountain Laurel,
Enclosed check for Special Mountain Memories. Is Liberty Hall School on the National Register? It should be. Could someone do something about it?

In 1974, C. J. Carrier Co., Harrisonburg, republished Virgil A. Lewis' "History of the Battle of Point Pleasant." Add to it is the known roster of officers and men who fought that day, Oct 10, 1774. I find John and William Campbell listed, but no Bowens. Hundreds of names are missing. Only 531 are given in his book. The original manuscript is likely in West Virginia State Library. Do you know if any effort has been made to enlist descendents of Point Pleasant soldiers to send their ancestor's names, where they enlisted, rank, etc.?

This (March) was a good issue. Enjoyed it best in several months.

M. Dent
Eden, North Carolina
P.S. Is there a Tiptop, Virginia today? What does it look like?

Dear Ms. Dent,
No, the Liberty Hall School isn't on the National Register.

I don't know if there is an effort to find the names, etc. of soldiers of Point Pleasant, but perhaps one of our readers might.

Yes, there is still a Tiptop, Virginia. It was mentioned in our December, 1989 BACKROAD tour. It is in Tazewell County. It is a quiet, beautiful, little mountain community.

Susan Thigpen, Editor

Dear Mountain Laurel,
Enclosed is my check, Please send me the Special Mountain Memories.

I too was born an raised in the hills of Virginia. My nephew, John Spangler, is often in your paper. It was he who bought me a gift subscription.

Thanks, I love it!

G. S. Ellinger
Chandler, Arizona

Dear Readers,
A correction to last month's Backroad. At mile 6.7, it listed the grave On the left up on the hill as that of John Crockett. It is the grave of another Revolutionary War Veteran, Colonel Robert Sayers, who died in 1826; uncle of Nancy Agnes Graham Crockett.

Susan Thigpen, Editor

Dear Mt. Laurel,
In answer to the inquiry about ginseng root, I am sending clipping from a catalog from Indiana Botanic Gardens, PO Box 5, Hammond Indiana 46325.

Note ginseng can be obtained in capsule form, also whole root or powdered.

I hope this is helpful.

R. Funk
Kingsville, Maryland

Dear Ms. Thigpen:
I just noticed that my subscription to The Mountain Laurel runs out in September of this year. I do not want to miss any issues of this paper, as it is such a wonderful paper and makes me recall so many memories of yesteryears. I do not want to cut up my paper to sent the form to you.

Would you please renew my subscription for three more years.

Thank you very much,

F.L. Rager
Chillicothe, Missouri

Dear Susan,
I've enclosed a subscription for The Mountain Laurel. This is for my sister's birthday on June 5th. She loves to read and just know she will enjoy The Mountain Laurel. I really enjoy it so very much. My husband and I plan to take some of the Backroad tours. I wish you the best and one more thing, Wytheville is my hometown. I visit there right often.

Sincerely,

I.W. Wills
Salem, Virginia

Dear Susan,
Enclosed is a check to pay for 2 years. I enjoy the paper very much. My parents were from Franklin County, Virginia. My father was Pleasant Viers and mother was Fannie Ethel Nolen Viers.

In your January issue on page 10 was an article [letter] by M. J. Viers from Hiwassee, Virginia.

Would you be so kind to send me her full address? I would like to write to see if we are related. My family has been working on the Viers genealogy.

Thank you very much.

Pauline Welden
14830 Falls Road
Cockneysville, Maryland 21030

Dear Mrs. Weldon,
I am printing your address in hopes that anyone who might be related to you can write with more information. Good luck.

Susan Thigpen, Editor

Dear Editor:
On two different occasions I've had the opportunity to read copies of The Mountain Laurel. "On the backroads" sections makes me anxious to return to Virginia and explore those roads. I love the stories by individuals who reminisce about their lives as I have always enjoyed my father's stories about his youth.

Enclosed is a check for two subscriptions. One is for me and it is a new subscription. The other is for a nephew and his family who also love the mountains. I do not know if he has a subscription now. If he does, please continue it for one year.

Thank you very much.

E. Thompson
Perry, Georgia

Dear Ms. Thigpen:
I just noticed that my subscription to The Mountain Laurel runs out in September of this year. I do not want to miss any issues of this paper, as it is such a wonderful paper and makes me recall so many memories of yesteryears. I do not want to cut up my paper to sent the form to you.

Would you please renew my subscription for three more years.

Thank you very much,

F.L. Rager
Chillicothe, Missouri

(From a subscription renewal)
We enjoy each issue of The Mountain Laurel and look forward to receiving it in the future. We are glad memories of the older people are being preserved for others to share!

Rev. R. Willard
Winston-Salem, North Carolina