The Mountain Laurel
The Journal of Mountain Life

Visit us on FaceBookGenerations of Memories
from the
Heart of the Blue Ridge

The Mail Box - November, 1985

Issue: November, 1985

Dear Readers,
We'd like to say thank you to the newspapers and television stations that have run stories about us in recent months. A special thanks to Hunter James of the Atlanta Journal/Constitution, whose article was picked up by a wire service and printed in papers all across America. We are printing some of the letters we received in response to their kind words about The Mountain Laurel.

Susan Thigpen, Editor

Dear Editors:
We really enjoy the paper. We wait each month for the next issue. We read it from the front to the back, every article.

Thank you,

The Palmer family
Spring Lake Heights, NJ

Dear Editors:
Thanks so Much for the complimentary copy of the Mountain Laurel. It is a delightful magazine. It is so nice to be able to read about all of these people who helped to build our part of the country. I can appreciate the time and work that goes into a paper like this. I'm proud of you.

Sincerely,

M. Baker
Sparta, NC

Gentlemen:
I thought you would like to see this article that ran in our local newspaper.

I was impressed both by your format and your story of success. I hope the future brings better and larger success to you both.

I was so impressed that I am enclosing $2.00 for whatever it will buy as toward either a subscription or annual newspapers. Send me your subscription rates, etc. along with whatever issues the money will buy.

Thank you,

F. Pala
N. Canton, OH

Dear friends:
I read in yesterdays Richmond Times Dispatch about "The Mountain Laurel." I want to subscribe and also if possible to purchase back issues if you have some available as I surely hope you do.

Sight unseen, the "Laurel" seems as if it's the kind of publication I would love to read and I look forward to becoming a subscriber.

Please let me know how to subscribe. Thank you,

W. N. Powell
Clover, VA.

Dear Mountain Laurel:
I have been enjoying your newspaper for over a year now and I can't begin to tell you what a fine job you are doing for all of us who have "roots" in your part of Virginia.

You published a letter that I wrote some time ago in your Genealogy column and I have had numerous responses to the query. I thank you so very much for your ability to reach out and touch the offspring of our heritage. From the articles that are published and written by local folks I feel as though I really know what it was like to also walk in the paths and trails of my ancestors.

I ran across a relative (surprisingly) while conducting some business in northern Virginia earlier this year and would like for the family to have a subscription to your newspaper. May God continue to bless you and your many subscribers.

Sincerely,

Mrs. S. W. Danneman
Norfolk, VA

Dear Folks:
Please send the collection of BACKROADS TOURS. I have all copies of The Mountain Laurel except the first few, but would like to have access to those tours. We began looking for a weekend place up there two years ago last May, and immediately discovered the Mountain Laurel, and soon subscribed so we wouldn't miss an issue. My husband usually brings the mail in, and hides the paper until he finishes it. We both enjoy it so much.

We bought a place at Orchard Gap in Sept. of the same year, and began taking the Backroads Tours. We enjoy them very much. We also appreciate your furnishing information about events in the mountains, and we try to attend as many as we can.

Sincerely,

Mrs. P. Casper
Rocky Mount, NC

Dear folks:
Your story was in the Montana Standard but no subscription price given. If you would, please let me know. I will send you a check.

Thank you,

N. Franklin
Twin Bridges, MT

Dear Sir:
After reading about your paper in the Grand Island paper, we're very interested in receiving it. Please advise us the price, etc. It sounds very interesting.

Very truly yours,

R. A. Westre
Grand Island, NE

Dear Charlotte:
The enclosed clipping is from our Sunday Paper.

I love the concept and I'm anxious to know how to get my name on your list of subscribers.

Please send that information to me.

Thank you very much!

M. Dickson
Fayetteville, GA

Dear Sir:
During our September visit to North Carolina I was introduced to the marvelous Mountain Laurel! Please find enclosed a subscription form for our family and one for friends in Micaville, NC.

Sincerely,

M.D. Moehlman
Miami Shores, FL

Dear Sir:
I read with interest of the newspaper that you are publishing and would like very much to receive a copy of it.

Please send me information regarding subscription price, etc.

Last year, we purchased a farm in NC and have enjoyed learning from these gracious people...they really know how to live - because they live for each other, are never too busy to help their neighbors and feel that you are an extension of their family after you have visited in their homes. What the rest of the world is missing!!! It is really a shame that we haven't been living in this area for the thirty seven years that we have been married we could have learned a lot.

Thank you,

J. Zimmerman
Murphy, NC

Dear Sir:
Could you please tell me where I could find the book, "The Heart of the Blue Ridge" by Walden Bailey? If so, I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you,

Mrs. O. Alexander
North Wilkesboro, NC

If anyone knows, please drop us a line.