The Mountain Laurel
The Journal of Mountain Life

Visit us on FaceBookGenerations of Memories
from the
Heart of the Blue Ridge

The Mail Box - February, 1986

Issue: February, 1986

Dear Folks,
I love "The Mountain Laurel." The Christmas issue is as usual, lovely. "The Last Christmas Tree," was especially moving, it was written in a quiet understated way that I've noticed in other of your articles. And which perhaps, in the end gives them a special emotional force.

The only reason I didn't renew my subscription right away is I decided to catch up on all reading before renewing anything, (impossible task).

I just got the Christmas issue, though my subscription ran out long ago. I'm not sure if I missed issues or not (as I haven't caught up on reading!) If I have and you can send them please do. The issues are a treasure.

Keep the rest of the money, it's a contribution. Keep up the fine work!

B.L. Schwimmer
Hinton, W VA

P.S.: Where I live (Summers Co., W VA.) the Backroads often are the main roads!

Dear Susan and Staff,
Thank you so much for including Charity [Virginia] on the Backroads Tour [January Issue]. It meant a lot to P.R.O.U.D.

Also, your "Dear Readers" page touched my heart. I share the same feelings about our past and keeping our heritage intact as much as possible in this changing world. I just hope you realize how much this little newspaper means to folks!

Thanks again. Looking forward to visiting you in the future.

Dorothy Griffith
Woolwine, VA

Dear Editor,
Please inquire if any of your readers have a copy of the book, "A Crest Of The Blue" by Wilmoth Clifton. It was published in 1960 by Vantage Press, N.Y.

I would be most grateful to buy this book because the authoress was my great aunt and she lived at Meadows of Dan many years ago.

Respectfully,

Nell C. Thompson
P.O. Box 91
Daleville, VA 24083

Dear Mountain Laurel,
Enclosed is my check for two years subscription. My sister Hazel Hall at Eden, NC sent me several copies of The Mountain Laurel and I enjoyed reading them so much. They bring back many childhood memories, since I was born at Meadows of Dan in 1929, On one of your Backroads Tour, you wrote about starting down a steep hill, Mrs. Frank Boyd's flowers were on both sides of the road, had you stopped at the foot of the hill and looked to the right you would have seen the old place. On the left the house was once the Lawson School, I went to school here until 1939 when the school was closed. Perhaps sometime I could share some story's about this school in the future.

Keep up the good work.

W.C. Dalton
Delond, Fla

The Mountain Laurel,
(In regards to a listing in our Blue Ridge Digest, travel aid section.]

This is not the Turner Tyler Trail Cabin. Never has been. T.T. Trail's father built the cabin. William Jeff Trail built it. My father was born in the cabin in 1881. His name was William Harry Trail.

The government bought the land from Lewis Cable Trail, who still lives in Floyd County. He is close to 100 years old.

Please correct it. I am a grandson of William Jeff Trail.

Thank you,

Cluber Tyler Trail
Bassett, VA

Dear Mr. Trail,
Thank you for setting the record straight. You'll notice we made the change (at milepost 154.5, Smart View) in this issue. Thousands of people visit the Parkway each year and I'm sure they are very interested in learning its true history.

Susan Thigpen, Editor

Dear Sirs;
Enclosed find a check for 1 year gift subscription for my mother, Bessie M. Trueheart. She enjoys your paper so much as she was born in Carroll County, near Hillsville, VA in the year 1900. She is now living in Amelia County, has been since the George W. Midkiff family moved to Amelia in March 1914. She has had two cataract operations this past year. She now has 20/30 vision, This makes The Laurel more important to her, She relates to so much published in your paper. Most recently the "Elkins" shoes, as she has worn them.

Sincerely,

V.F. McMillion
Amelia, VA

The Way It Was
A story told by the late Mrs. Ruby (Yates) Jones, North Wilkesboro, N.C. who descended from John and Jemima (Roper) Yates through their son, David Yates and his wife Nancy (Hays) Yates. No place or date was known where the incident took place, but it is supposed to have happened during the Revolutionary War. "Jemima had a filly of her very own that she loved very much. Cornwallis' men came to where she lived and stole some of the horses, including her filly. She became very angry and went to Cornwallis' camp and demanded to see him. The guard refused, but she made such a disturbance, Cornwallis heard her and told the guard to allow her to come forward. When she told her story, he had her horse brought before him. The horse recognized Jemima and Cornwallis allowed her to mount her filly and return to her home."

Here is a copy I would like to see printed in your paper. It was sent to me from Virginia.

If any of your readers have any information on any descendants of these Yates I would love to hear from them.

Sincerely,

Carole (Yates) Reynolds
8363 Churn Creek Rd.
Redding, CA

Dear Folks,
Sometime ago I read an article about you all and your paper in the Greensboro News and Record. Based on what I read I entered my subscription to The Mountain Laurel.

I have received my first copy and it is all that I was told and more. Thanks for your hard work and dedication.

Enclosed is my check for a copy of A Special Backroads Collection.

Sincerely,

C. Busch
Greensboro, NC

Mountain Laurel
You have no idea how I wait each month for my paper, I enjoy it so much. Even though I came from further up The Blue Ridge (Green Co.). Maybe "One can't go home again," but The Mountain Laurel is close to it.

Sincerely,

H. Hall
Okeechobee, Fl

Dear Mountain Laurel,
Please renew my Mountain Laurel. I look forward to getting this little paper each month. I enjoy it better than any paper I have ever read. The stories are a home life everyone should have lived.

Thanks a million,

Mrs. E.C. Arrowood
Rutherfordton, N.C.