The Mountain Laurel
The Journal of Mountain Life

Visit us on FaceBookGenerations of Memories
from the
Heart of the Blue Ridge

The Mail Box - May, 1985

Issue: May, 1985

The Mountain Laurel,

I've enjoyed and shared with others your publication for several months. Some of your writers have extraordinary talent. The pictures are my favorite, though. A picture treated monthly as you did the one in March would be enjoyable. The responses might be very satisfying when people come forth with an identification.

Thanks,

H.O. Ligon
Danville, VA.

Dear Readers,

Please see page 21 in this issue. We have printed two old photographs from the archives of the Blue Ridge Institute of Ferrum College. Neither of the people in the photos have been identified and we're hoping one of you may know who they are. If you enjoy this, we will print more in future issues.

Thank you,

Susan Thigpen, Editor

The Mountain Laurel,

Enclosed is my check for a year's subscription to "Mountain Laurel" and a Backroads Tours.

My son sent a copy of the January issue containing the interesting article on Pine Creek Primitive Baptist Church. The list of names of those buried in the church cemetery included my maiden name - Wickham.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this most interesting journal (I did not know of its existence before). I live at Shawsville, Va. also, so the area you write about is nearby.

Yours truly,

R.W. Sisson
Palmetto, Florida

Dear Mt. Laurel,

I would like to tell you how much I enjoyed your paper. I moved to Woolwine from Ignacio, Colorado in November and today I saw your little paper and got one and I must tell you I started reading it and could not lay it down until I had read every word.

Enclosed is my check for a subscription. I hope it's in time to receive the April issue.

Thank you,

J. Rorrer
Woolwine, VA.

Dear Ms. Thigpen,

I would like to renew my mother's subscription to The Mountain Laurel for another year. I wanted to let you know how much we enjoy your newspaper. It brings back childhood memories to older readers and informs the younger ones of how things really were way back when. It's interesting, entertaining and I wouldn't want to miss a single issue. Keep up the good work!

Sincerely,

Mrs. J.A. Mize
Stuart, VA

Dear Mt. Laurel,

I look forward to my Mountain Laurel and enjoy reading it. Hope you have many years of success. I love the Blue Ridge country.

Best Wishes,

R.W. Gunter
Martinsville, VA

Dear Sirs:

I am enclosing a check for your "Special Backroads Collection", which was advertised in the publication Mountain Laurel. I enjoy The Mountain Laurel very much and hope to make some of the tours in your publication some day soon.

Sincerely,

Mrs. R.J. Kell
New Brighton, Minnesota

Dear Mt. Laurel,

I enjoy your paper very much, even though we are not from there. A friend of ours is and he introduced us to The Mountain Laurel. We are frequent visitors to the Blue Ridge area and plan on retiring in your serene, beautiful country.

Thank you for enjoyable reading,

M. Glass
Troy, Michigan

Dear Mountain Laurel Folks,

I love the paper as it is and enjoy reading the memories and stories so much. Since I am 86 years old, so many of the stories are like my own childhood. I think my last copy is the best yet.

Mrs. D.G. Higgins
Galax, VA

Hi,

Just a note for now. I enjoy everything you put in the Mt. Laurel. I love the stories but one of my favorites is the recipes that are printed. I have a hobby of collecting cook books and if any of you know of a church or worthy organization that has one, I would like to know about it.

Thanks,

Miss L. Ward
McLeansville, N.C.

Dear Editor,

Please find enclosed a check for a 2 year subscription. I do enjoy the wonderful little paper. Reading all the old time stories and all about the Blue Ridge Mountains; I hope to see more of the old time mountain recipes.

I also added a name for a complimentary copy. I am sure this person would enjoy it.

So keep up the good work and keep the wonderful paper coming.

Yours truly,

Mrs. D. Ramsey
Barrett, West VA.

Dear Mountain Laurel,

I really enjoy your paper. I read every word of it, have been some of the places you write about. I go down Shooting Creek and the rough Ferrum [road] about every year to Rocky Mount.

I am enclosing check for two years renewal of my subscription. Just keep those interesting stories coming.

Yours truly,

Mrs. J.B. Parks
Troutdale, VA

Dear Mountain Laurel,

While visiting our good friends the Barbours & Belchers of Charity, I came across the Anniversary issue of your wonderful Journal. My wife and I first visited this area in 1978 and have returned every chance we get. We are truly in love with the Blue Ridge and are planning to make it our home. Enclosed is a 3 year subscription.

Thanks for welcoming us to the neighborhood.

Barry & Michele Harvell
St. Cloud, Florida

Dear "Mountain Laurel",

We have had much joy from our issues of the Laurel. We have only one problem: holding on to copies for our files. Please, do you have back issues available? If so, please send information on costs and how to obtain them.

Thank you for a delightful publication.

Sincerely,

W.C. Hylton
Silver Springs, Maryland

Dear Readers,

We are sorry, but we have so few back issues that we can't let them go. We do have plans to publish compiled issues of articles from back issues in the near future. We have already printed one, BACKROADS, and the next will be MOUNTAIN MEMORIES.

Susan Thigpen, Editor