The Mountain Laurel
The Journal of Mountain Life

Visit us on FaceBookGenerations of Memories
from the
Heart of the Blue Ridge

The Mail Box - June, 1983

Issue: June, 1983

Editor, Mountain Laurel

Thank you so much for the complimentary copy of the Mountain Laurel. We have a place on the Blue Ridge Parkway, south of Fancy Gap, Va. Enclosed my check for one year subscription. I would like to find out approximately when the Rhododendron and Laurel is expected to be in bloom.

Sincerely,

S.E. Cooper
Wilmington, N.C.

Dear Mr. Cooper,

I'm answering you through the paper because I thought many others would like to know when the Rhododendrons and Laurels are expected to be in bloom. I called the Blue Ridge Parkway, Rocky Knob Ranger's Station for this information and they estimate it will be between June 10th and 15th. For any of you who have missed seeing this, it is a truly beautiful sight and one you should try to see.

Susan Thigpen, Editor

P.S. The flame azalea are in bloom now and have the most brilliant colors this year than I have ever seen.

Dear Friends,

Recently we drove 200 miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway and we were thrilled and happy to learn about the people in publications such as the Mountain Laurel. Please find a check to cover a subscription. I hope you will write some history of the Parkway.

Thank you,

Mr. & Mrs. V. Sharp
Essexville, Mich.

Dear Mrs. Thigpen,

Mrs. Mae Feriss of Radford, to whom you sent a complimentary copy of the Laurel was so pleased with it she called me yesterday. She had never seen a picture of her parents, their home having been burned down when she was a child. I got the pictures from Mrs. Alice Boyd, my mother-in-law.

Respectfully,

Ella M. Boyd

Dear Folks...

On our twice a year trip to visit our kids in Wilmington, N.C....We stopped at out usual lunch spot at Fancy Gap, Va., where the Blue Ridge Parkway passes over Route 52. My wife picked up the May issue of your Monthly Journal of Mountain Life and brought it home. It is simply delightful!!! As it brought back memories of places we have seen during years of travel in the "almost heaven" mountain areas of West (By Gawd) Virginia to the mysterious, ethereal Great Smokies of North Carolina and Tennessee. Accordingly, we choose to further please ourselves with fond remembrances via your marvelous publication. Enclosed is our check.

Respectfully,

J.R. Gusler
Delaware, Ohio

Dear Mt. Laurel Editor:

Your comp. copy was received and read with enjoyment form cover to cover. We even drove up the Parkway and took the BACKROAD tour. What a pleasant afternoon it was. Without your directions we would never ventured off the beaten path and would have missed seeing that beautiful scenery and wouldn’t have experienced the lovely tranquility of that section. We have enclosed our subscription fee and look forward eagerly to the next edition with more news of the mountains and another BACKROAD tour mapped out for us.

Sincerely,

Mrs. James B. Price
Concord, N.C.